Blogs > Why Not Thrift?

Material things don't matter much to me. That is one major reason why I love to thrift. It doesn't cost much, it's an adventure and you always come away feeling good. So why not thrift?

Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Unique Thrift Find: Vintage Monet charm bracelet

I bought this vintage Monet charm bracelet at Unique Thrift in Willowick on half-price Monday. I paid just $1.50 for it. I'm sure the memories this bracelet are associated with would push the price of this find to over $150.

***
In an attempt to do some research for my new blog, I dragged myself to Unique Thrift in Willowick on half-price Monday before work.
In all honesty, I didn't drag myself there.
I woke up earlier than usual and couldn't wait to get in that packed parking lot.
Shopping at Unique Thrift on Mondays has been a ritual of mine for a few years now. I don't hit the store every Monday, but as many Mondays as I can get to.
Why?
Because it's so fun.
You never know what you are going to find.
The first thing I do when I walk in the store is go to the jewelry counter. I'm big on collecting sterling silver so if it's in good condition, I usually pick it up. There was no sterling silver on Monday, but there was this vintage Monet charm braclet for $2.99. The half-price sale made it $1.50.
There are six charms on the bracelet and all are associated with travel in some way or another. There is a trolley car from San Francisco, a flag from the Grand Canyon and a United Nations Building from New York.
One of the charms looks like there is some tarnish on it so I am hoping this could possibly be a solid find?
Even if it isn't, I'm glad this charm landed in my hands.
I appreciate treasures like this because they have such a story behind them. Who wore this bracelet? What did it mean to the woman to visit these different spots? Did she go on trips with her husband for her honeymoon or family trips? What year was this bracelet made?
When I was young, my mom had a beautiful charm bracelet that was completely filled. I always thought it was the coolest bracelet I had ever seen.
Now that I have four nieces, I have bought all of them sterling silver charm bracelets from Neilsen's in Lorain. The first charm on all of the bracelets is always a heart with their name and birthday on one side. The opposite side says: "Love, Aunt Theresa."
I give the girls charms on their birthdays, special occasions and Christmas. When my niece made her first communion this past weekend, I gave her a charm with the date of her communion. I also gave her a cute charm of two roller skates. I hope one day, she thinks of the times we went roller skating together.
Throughout life, some of the most important gifts we are given are our memories.
I cherish not only mine, but memories of strangers I will never meet.




Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home